RCL FOODS transforms culture through Lumina Spark
Nicole Sorrell, Lumina Learning Partner
RCL FOODS is a leading African food manufacturer, producing a wide range of branded and private label food products which they distribute through their own route-to-market supply chain specialist, Vector. With R16,2 billion in market capitalisation and over 20,000 employees, they are on of the top 100 companies list on the JSE.
Their strategy is founded on a clear sense of who they are and where they are going as a business. They aim to create the future of Our Way – drive by their passion and their ambition and guided by their values.
RCL FOODS wanted Lumina Learning’s help to:
- Deepen understanding of self and others in a dynamic way
- Help create cohesive, aligned, high-functioning teams where their values, standard of leadership, and Our Way behaviours align – and where you can be more you!
RCL FOODS’ “Our Way” culture matches up around Big Picture Thinking, People Focused, and Extraverted Qualities on the Lumina Spark Mandala. However, looking at the Team mandalas for a large percentage of their management population, the Qualities most in evidence were Down to Earth and Outcome Focused. The Qualities required to embed “Our Way” culture needed to be developed.
This is an ongoing focus area where a significant number of RCL FOODS employees and teams are agreeing on personal commitments, action plans, team visions, team behaviours, and communication strategies aligning with Big Picture Thinking and People Focused.
Lumina Learning Solution
Lumina Learning designed and implemented several initiatives for RCL FOODS:
- Incorporating Lumina Spark into the GIBS leadership programmes
- Emerging leaders development programme
- Supervisory fundamentals programme
- Team effectiveness sessions
- One-on-one coaching sessions
- Group and peer coaching sessions
- Follow-up sessions to assess impact
- Strategic workshops for executive teams
- Immersive experiences
“Our team effectiveness workshops, utilising the Lumina Spark methodology and the integration of Our Way, offer a deep dive into self-awareness. In addition to this the workshops develop team dynamics with a focus on team strategy, aligning the team culture and behaviours to goals and a vision.” – Melissa Anderson, Group Leadership & Development Manager
- Increased self-awareness and ownership of key strengths and weaknesses
- Managing de-railers to create high performance and strong relationships
- Team cohesion as members respect, value, and leverage differences
- Effective communication within the team
- Ability to speed read and build rapport with key stakeholders
- Development of a team charter as a quick reference guide for communication and to hold each other accountable to fulfil goals and commitments
“Being in the industry for many years, I find the Lumina Learning methodology refreshing, innovative and holistic… it is becoming a common language, helping us to embed the RCL FOODS “Our Way” culture. I look forward to our continued partnership with Nicole and Lumina Learning!” – Charmaine Boshoff, Group Learning & Development Executive
“Lumina Learning’s momentum continues to grow as our stakeholders experience the practical and sustainable impact. The ‘sell’ has now been replaced with a constant request for Lumina! …our people have become accountable for their performance.” – Melissa Anderson, Group L&D Manager, Leadership Development
“This was the most practical and inspirational training I have ever done. It brought so much self-awareness and will improve my communication moving forward.” – RCL FOODS employee
“The programme is a must for every team at RCL FOODS as we build connected teams. Excellent!” – RCL FOODS employee
You can subscribe for our latest free L&D resources in our quarterly update.